Thursday, May 26, 2011

James Study

A study in James is like spiritual bootcamp. James is blunt and says it like it is and full of advice to grow up. This study is about putting faith to work in trails and hardship. Count your trials as joy-knowing you will reap blessings of patience, humility, strength and wisdom. It requires belief in the goodness of God, belief that He knows what He is doing, belief during the painful times that God is there and is in control of all things, belief that God uses all things to a greater purpose, and belief that there are results in your trials. Where does faith come from? God's grace-grace is a gift of God and faith is a work of God in our hearts.

The Greek word doulos means slave or bondservant. Obedience was the work, humility the position, loyalty the relationship. To be a bondservant to Jesus is to be an obedient, humble and loyal servant though His yoke is an easy yoke meant to make our life a joy in all things. If you lost all you have you can still count on your blessings in Christ. James wrote to counteract the wrong thoughts and actions-self indulgence, unbridled speech, foolishness, idleness...

Paradox of Prayer
I asked God for strength that I might achieve-I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey
I asked for health that I might to great things-I was given infirmity that I might do better things
I asked for riches that I might be happy-I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men-I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God
I asked for all thing that I might enjoy life-I got nothing that I asked for but everything I had hoped for
Despite myself my prayers were answered-I am among the most richly blessed

The process used for growing the trees that became the main mast for military and merchant ships: The great ship builders selected a tree located on the top of a high hill as a potential mast. They cut away all of the surrounding trees that would shield the chosen one from the force of the wind. As the years went by and the winds blew fiercely against the tree, the tree only grew stronger until finally it was strong enough to be the foremast of a ship.

That wind is our trials, testings, and temptations. James 3:3-4 "We put (little) bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires." In both illustrations something very small controls something more powerful than ourselves. The same can be said for our anger, desires, undesirable behaviors...we can use something small but powerful to control these things that seem greater than we can manage on our own-the Holy Spirit, prayer, God's Word.

James 3:5 "See how great a forest a little fire kindles" Use your tongue to build-not destroy, encourage-not annihilate, minister-not massacre. A prayer of David "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer" Psalm 19:14.

The word in the bible for a gossip or slanderer is diabolos-the same word used 34 times in Scripture as a title for the devil himself. It is used once to refer to Judas who betrayed Jesus (John 6:70) and Jesus taught the devil is a liar and the father of all lies (John 8:44) so who wants to be known as a she-devil.

A careless word may kindle strife
A cruel word may wreck a life
A brutal word may smite and kill
A gracious word may smooth the way
A joyous word may light the day
A timely word may lessen stress
A loving word may heal and bless
-Walter

James 4:17 "to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." Hanging on to a few favorite sins? Delayed obedience is disobedience. We live with "what is" but have the promise of "what is to be." In between we can worry, stress, be entangled in the world, or be still and fix your eyes above. James has no sweet parting words, no final blessings, just a no nonsense ending, "he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins."

1 comment:

Mallard Nest said...

I am so glad you wrote more about your Bible studies! Thanks so much for sharing! What a blessing!