Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 9 Prince William Sound

After leaving Glacier Bay we sailed through Cross Sound and rounded Cape Spencer. Today was a sea day, we crossed the Gulf of Alaska, at Cape Hinchbrook (1380 nautical miles) we entered Prince William Sound. Going through Wells Passage we cruised up into College Fjord for 360 degrees of spectacular beauty.
The ship we have been sailing on is the ms Statendam, a ship in the Holland America Line. The majority of the officer crew is Dutch, the food service crew is mostly Indonesian and the housekeeping and engineering crews are mostly Filipino. The Netherlands had actually colonized Indonesia from 1600-1945. I am sure it helps to have that common language between the Dutch and Indonesian crews.
I had been catching afternoon tea on the ship just about everyday we were on board. The last day Erik and Owen joined me. The theme was Indoneasian. The servers were dressed in beautiful earth tones, Batik printed, shirts and sarongs. Indonesian pastries were served along with an excellent selection of teas. I just love afternoon tea, I think that is my favorite meal.
That afternoon we arrived in College Fjord. All of the glaciers are named after Ivy League colleges.



Adorable sea otters were all over. Many were hanging out on the big flat pieces of floating ice.

I was able to catch a picture of this seal swimming.




Our last dinner on board was so much fun.

The first day we boarded the ship my mom recognized the "yum yum man." He is really called that. He has his yum yum cart of digestiefs (mints, prunes, and candied ginger) at the exit of the dinningroom. He was so sweet and I think my mom made his week by remembering him from a past cruise.
The ship is full of beautiful Dutch and Indonesian art. These Indonesian artifacts are from the 16th and 17th centuries.
These are Dutch Maritime Artifacts from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Origional 17th century oil from the Dutch painter Gysberts.
In our rooms were these sweet watercolors depicting life in the Netherlands.

Erik has been reading Klondike Fever, the book he picked up in Skagway, like crazy.
After leaving Prince William Sound, we sailed through Knight Island Passage heading for Resurection Bay.
I took these pictures at about midnight.

2 comments:

Mallard Nest said...

I love the sea otters! The scenery is mesmerizing!

Clint, Tanya, Dane and Kimber said...

WOW! You are doing such a great job sharing the pictures from your great trip! The mountains are incredible and I also love the otters and the seal pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!