Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Arriving in Israel

I started out on Friday, October 29th and arrived Sunday, October 31st. After traveling for so long I was SO excited to finally be here.
The air port is amazing! It feels like a museum with the soaring ceiling, huge open spaces, and large blocks for the walls.
Beautiful Roman mosaics.
A small model of the old city at the time of Herod. The walls showed how the city expanded over the centuries.
Leaving the air port. After meeting Ronnie, our guide/historian and finding out the main group coming in from England was delayed 3 hours, Will, David, Betsie, and I took a cab north to Netanya. Right away I was struck by how modern everything looked. It resembles the US for the most part. All the buildings are a desert sand color for the most part. Signs are all in Hebrew, Arabic, and English. We ran into a bit of traffic. Right away I noticed how serious Israelis take security. Police were in the painted hashed area of off ramps pulling cars over for random inspections. Our cab driver was interesting to talk to. He could speak 7 languages. His family had been living in Israel prior to its independence in 1948.
Our hotel was right on the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea. There was a beautiful electrical storm at sea that night. These would be the only dark skies I would see the whole trip.

2 comments:

Mallard Nest said...

Great start! I am so excited to read about the rest of your trip!

Mallard Nest said...

Ps. I love the picture of the storm clouds!