Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pictures From Vietnam & guest blogger

I am pretty sure I don't want to visit Vietnam but my Uncle Ron has no choice since he works there. He is the guest blogger:

We pass this apartment complex every day. The first time I saw it I immediately thought about the Bates Motel in the movie psycho. Every single building is exactly the same. The architect must have loved the movie. There must be over 40 buildings.


Every now and then our trip back to the hotel gets interrupted by ducks.

One of the hardest sights to get used to is how really young children ride on motor bikes with either just being held by mom or tied on behind mom with just a scarf. Here a child is squeezed in between mom and dad. Now you understand why riding on motor bikes is the #1 cause of death for children in Vietnam. By law only the parents have to wear helmets.

This guy keeps us company in the bathroom.

No comment.

Of course a trip to Vietnam wouldn’t be complete without some exotic food. Snake on a stick anyone?

OK I know you want to know where udon noodles come from. I’m here to give you the scoop.

We see these on the side of the road every day. They are udon noodles drying in the sun soaking up the sun’s rays and the flavors from every passing car and truck. There must be 50 of these.

What did you say? You can’t detect the regional flavor in the noodles?Well we have that problem solved. You just bundle up the noodles like hay and tie them to your motor cycle. Problem solved. The bundle of noodles act like a furnace filter collecting all of the local flavors. Dirt? What dirt? You boil the noodles anyway.

This is real. This is what was on my plate today. The word of the day was: protein, protein, protein.

Don’t ask because I have no idea what it was and I didn’t want to know.

No comments: