Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday's Fruit

Mangoes! Mmmm...when we lived in our first house here I would get off The Bus and walk up the hill past this huge mango tree..
Lychee!! Super Ummmm! I took the kids by the house we rented the first year we were here (Sept 1996-Aug 1997). This huge lychee tree was in the front yard. I would come home from school and there would be big brown paper grocery sacks full of lychee at the door (left by the landlord who lived next door). The first time I saw it I had no idea what they were. After the first one I was in love and quickly devoured the entire bag full. It wasn't until we moved that we learned that a tiny bag would sell for $8! The taste is sweet and juicy, the texture somewhat like the inside of a grape and you can't stop eating them.
Any idea what these are?
They are huge. The local name for this is jabong (don't ask me). When I was in school a few of my patients would bring me these. I can't really describe the taste, they are very sour but in a delicious sort of way-not like a lemon. The sections are gigantic and not very juicy.
Coconuts. I think about Erik coming back with wood for the fire and coconuts he found when we were camping on Kauai. Never sit under a coconut tree, I imagine it could be quite painful should one drop.

1 comment:

Mallard Nest said...

Awesome! Ok you are making me miss HI even more!!!!!!! Miss you guys!